Code of Ethics
The Midland Whippet Club
General Code of Ethics
All members of the Midland Whippet Club undertake to abide by its general Code of Ethics
01) Will properly house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under their care and arrange for
appropriate veterinary attention if and when required.
02) Will agree without reservation that any veterinary surgeon performing an operation on
any of their dogs which alter the natural conformation of the animal or who carries out a
caesarean section on a bitch, may report such operations to the Kennel Club.
03) Will agree that no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies which may not conform to the
Breed Standard should be placed in suitable homes.
04) Will abide by all aspects of the animal welfare act.
05) Will not create demand for, nor supply, puppies that have been docked illegally.
06) Will agree not to breed from a dog or bitch which could be in anyway harmful to the dog
or to the breed.
07) Will not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause nuisance to neighbours or
those carrying our official duties.
08) Will ensure that their dogs wear properly tagged collars and will be kept leashed or under
effective control when away from home.
09) Will clean up after their dogs in public places or anywhere their dogs are being exhibited.
10) Will only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and
will help with the re-homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.
11) Will supply written details of all dietary requirements and give guidance concerning
responsible ownership when placing dogs in a new home.
12) Will ensure that all relevant Kennel Club documents are provided to the new owner when
selling or transferring a dog and will agree, in writing, to forward any relevant documents
at the earliest opportunity, if not immediately.
13) Will not sell any dog to commercial wholesalers, retail pet dealers or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a competition of any kind. Will not sell by sale or auction Kennel Club registration certificates as stand-alone items (not accompanying a dog).
14) Will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs
nor mislead any person regarding the health or quality of a dog.
Breach of these provisions may result in expulsion from club membership and or disciplinary action by the Kennel Club and or reporting to the relevant authorities for legal action, as appropriate.